Warning: some mushrooms are poisonous, even deadly. Henceforth the content of this said web site and its context shall be used as information and each visitor from hereafter shall take it upon themselves to exercise extreme caution. This said website and its contents make no representation, and it does not offer sufficient information for a totaly safe mushroom hunt because some mushrooms are poisonous, even deadly.
It is the sole responsibility of visitors to this site to postively identify their own morels. The Great Morel site is not intended to be a morel identification guide and takes no reponsibilty in mis-indentifying morels. Visitors must understand that consumption of some mushrooms may be harmful, and or fatal.
Discard all preconceived beliefs and remember the information herein maybe be questionable, is not all factual, and any assuredness created from the reading of this said web site should be reviewed because some mushrooms are poisonous and can even be deadly.
Therefore extreme heedfulness and circumspection shall be taken in any pursuit of the great morel mushoom (morchella). Any misconstrued notions gathered from said content is the responsibility of the visitor and therfore constitutes neglect of said visitor for inability to recognize some mushrooms are poisonous, even deadly.
Seriously - To help avoid mushroom poisoning, you should follow these five rules:
1. Identify each and every mushroom you collect, and only eat those whose identification you are sure of. When in doubt, throw it out.
2. Strictly avoid:
3. Some people are allergic to even the safest mushrooms. The first time you try a new wild mushroom, it is important that you eat only a small amount and wait 24 hours before eating more.
4. As with other foods, rotting mushrooms can make you ill. Eat only fresh, undecayed mushrooms and eat in moderation.
5. Most wild mushrooms should not be eaten raw or in large quantities, since they are difficult to digest.
6. Morel recipes and preserving suggestions offered by visitors of the Great Morel are just that - suggestions.
If you are a first time hunter, you should make your first hunting expedition with someone who knows what a good morel looks like. There are several types of morels, some edible and others poisonous. I recommend that all shroomers, rookies and veterans visit the FAQ page on the section of Edible and Poisonous morels. Here you can do research from some of the top mycology sites on the internet to help better identify those not-so-friendly mushrooms.
Some other helpful hints:
Know the deadly poisonous mushrooms of your area (Amanatas, Galerinas, certain false morels) and those likely to induce severe illness.
Poisonous mushrooms do not darken onions, potatoes or silver placed in the cooking pot. You cannot be poisoned by touching a dangerous mushroom.
Do not eat any mushrooms whose stalk arises from a fleshy cup buried in the ground or has a bulbous base.
Use your head:
The Great Morel does not condone or promote trespassing of any kind. Any interpretation or assumption gathered from this web site is wrong. Use your head and respect the land that you hunt upon, ask permission when needed, and most of all... take out what you take in! Care for the land you reap your rewards from!
The Great Morel will only post email addresses with permission and uses special Java code to keep "spam-bots" from scanning the pages of The Great Morel for your email address. This insures privacy to the finest.